China Adoption Eligibility
General Eligibility Requirements for a Waiting Child Adoption
Because the China Center for Children’s Welfare and Adoption (CCCWA) serves as the central authority overseeing China adoptions, China adoption eligibility requirements for our program are set by the CCCWA. Sunny Ridge is mandated to adhere to these requirements. Therefore, families must meet these guidelines to qualify for a China adoption.
China has very specific written eligibility requirements regarding the qualification of prospective adoptive parents; requirements for single women differ slightly from requirements for married couples.
In general, China adoption eligibility requirements for married couples seeking to adopt through our China program include:
- Couples married a minimum of two years (minimum of five years if there is a history of divorce). No more than two divorces per parent.
- Applicants should be 30 to 55 to be eligible to adopt a child through the waiting child program.
- At least one applicant must be a United States citizen
- No serious physical health diagnosis (BMI must be no greater than 40; inquire about history of major surgery, vision/hearing impairments, mobility limitations, chronic or long-term health diagnoses)
- No history of cancer, seizure disorder, active Hepatitis A,B or C, binocular blindness, major organ transplant within 10 years, alcoholism within 10 years, one or both applicants use a wheelchair or mobility aid or any surgery within 1 year of dossier submission
- No mental health diagnosis (inquire about mental health including mild depression, anxiety or similarly mild conditions). No applicants can be currently taking any medication for depression, anxiety, bi-polar disorder or schizophrenia. If the medications were taken in the past, applicant must have been off the medications for at least two years
- No history of drug use or dependency
- Minimal criminal history
- Minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum annual income of $20,000 + $10,000 per each child currently living in home, including the future adopted child.
- Minimum net worth of $80,000
In general, China adoption eligibility requirements for single women seeking to adopt through our China program include:
- Single women may adopt children with a “special focus” designation only in the waiting child program
- Minimum of one year since previous adoption
- Applicants should be at least 30 years of age; an applicant who is 50 years of age or older may adopt provided she is no more than 45 years older than the child being adopted
- No more than two children under 18 years of age in the home
- Youngest child in home must be at least 6 years of age
- Applicant needs to be able to identify appropriate male role models for the adopted child
- Demonstrate a strong social and family network to support applicant and adopted child(ren)
- Attest in writing to her sexual orientation as heterosexual (CCCWA does not allow gay or lesbian individuals to adopt)
- No serious physical health diagnosis (see above)
- No mental health diagnosis (see above)
- No history of drug use or dependency
- No criminal record
- Minimum annual income of $10,000 per individual in the home plus the child to be adopted and demonstrate financial stability
- Minimum education level of high school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum net worth of $100,000
- Medical insurance which will cover the medical expenses of the adopted child
- Experience in child care or occupation in a child-related field such as a medical or health professional, teacher, psychologist, therapist, etc. who regularly works with children
- Successful experience caring for children with special needs is preferred
If you have questions about the China adoption eligibility requirements, please contact the China Waiting Child Program Coordinator:
or Peggy Earwood, at (630) 754-4542.